Last night, I noticed chickensnack‘s favicon on his site – I converted it to a binary string by hand (by literally typing out the 1’s and 0’s), and then feeding it through a binary-to-ASCII converter I found through Google. I decided that there must be a better way!
This toy (currently) only works with ASCII, meaning you’re out of luck if you try throwing Unicode in there. And also due to the way that browsers display non-printing ASCII characters, you’ll run into problems if you try encoding any old image into ASCII. Perhaps I’ll create a variation that converts the binary into base64 intermediately, so non-ASCII characters can be displayed properly. This would be incompatible with the version I’ve made, though.
Some examples for you to try:
Source for this can be found here: